Stingers prevail in nail biter against Rouge et Or

Thanks to a key defensive play by first-year forward Natasha Raposo, the Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team was able to secure a 62-60 win over the Laval Rouge et Or.

With approximately three seconds left in the game, Laval’s Chanelle St-Amour dribbled the ball towards mid-court in a last ditch attempt to get a shot off that would either tie or win the game. However, before  she could advance the ball past the half court line, she was met by Stingers guard Magalie Beaulieu who then forced her left towards the sideline. Before she could adjust or make a pass to a teammate, Raposo came over and trapped her against the sideline. With absolutely nowhere to go, St-Amour was forced to hold onto the ball as time expired.

“We got a tremendous defensive stop at the end of the game,” said Stingers head coach Keith Pruden. “Magalie forced the girl left and Raposo came up and trapped. It was an awesome defensive play. [Raposo] picked the right time and the right place.”

“I knew there wasn’t much time left on the clock and I knew that she was one of their star players and would want the last shot,” said Raposo. “When I saw her with her head down I figured ‘why not?’ Good thing my teammates were there to pick up the player that I left behind.”

In a night that saw a plethora of ties and lead changes, it came as little surprise that the game would come down to a single all-important play. The game was very scrappy and physical and was hotly contested from the opening whistle to closing buzzer. Both teams were locked in a virtual seesaw battle in a game in which no single quarter of play was decided by more than two points.

While pleased with the result and proud of his team’s determination, Pruden came away impressed by the opposing team’s performance. “It was a very close game and I have to say that Laval played very well. I’ve watched a number of their tapes so far this year and this was probably the best game they’ve played this year.”

Stingers guard Kaylah Barrett, who scored 22 points and grabbed six rebounds in the victory, was not at all surprised by Laval’s level of play, given the recent history between both squads. “It was a tough game,” she said. “Last year we beat Laval four times. They were definitely coming at us and they weren’t backing down at all. They came out and played hard and we just fought back.”

The Stingers will host the Bishop’s University Gaiters this Friday at 6 p.m. If they win, they will become the first Stingers women’s basketball team to begin a season 3-0 in a little over a decade.