World in brief, Nov. 8

Remember, remember, the fifth of November

Around 200 protesters marched to Parliament in London on Nov. 5 in an annual commemoration of Guy Fawkes, the English anarchist who tried to blow up Parliament in 1605. Many of those present at the rally came from the Occupy London movement, according to the Associated Press. The grinning Fawkes plastic mask, popularized by the movie V for Vendetta, has become a symbol of the worldwide Occupy movement which originated in New York in September. The demonstration was peaceful, but protesters were prevented from approaching Parliament by police. Fawkes and conspirators were tried as traitors after attempting to blow up Parliament and assassinate the king. Guy Fawkes Day, and the king’s escape, is celebrated every year in England with fireworks and bonfires in which revelers burn effigies called “guys.”
Bra size, please
Scandinavian lingerie company Change has female employees up in arms over a policy which requires them to reveal their bra sizes on their name tag. The policy was introduced three years ago to help customers find their own bra size. Speaking to Swedish newspaper The Local, Change CEO Susann Haglund said the women display their cup size on a voluntary basis. However, a female employee said that when she was hired, she was given a document where it was specified that the name tag had to be worn, along with the cup size. The woman spoke to the Commercial Employees’ Union about the policy. Ensuing negotiations between the union and Change led to a lawsuit which has yet to be resolved. 

Woman better not take my candy
A South Carolina woman had the unfortunate luck of having a gun pulled on her over a Halloween joke last week. The Associated Press reported that the woman, 28, told police she jokingly told a group of children she recognized while trick-or-treating on Monday evening that she would steal their candy. A 10-year-old then pointed the gun at her and said “no.” While the boy had a clip of ammunition, the gun was not loaded, according to Aiken Public Safety Lt. David Turno. The boy was brought to the police station. His brother also said he had a gun with him. According to Turno, the guns belonged to their grandfather, and the brothers had borrowed them without permission.

Cleanliness definitely not next to godliness
A cleaner at the Ostwall Museum in Dortmund, Germany destroyed a $1.1 million sculpture on display there after mistaking part of the fixture for a stain and scrubbing it off. The installation, by artist Martin Kippenberger, is called “When It Starts Dripping From The Ceiling.” It features a trough adorned with a layer of beige paint, meant to represent dried rainwater, underneath a tower of wooden slats, according to Agence France-Presse. The cleaner, employed by an external company, thought the paint was an actual stain, and removed it. The damage was only discovered late last month, according to a museum spokesperson, who specified that the cleaning crews must remain 20 centimetres away from artwork at all times. However, the cleaning lady may not have received those instructions from the company which employed her.