Stingers take 29th Shrine Bowl

Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

The Stingers triumphed over their rivals the McGill Redmen in the 29th annual Shrine Bowl this Saturday despite the rain.  Concordia took a 33-21 victory, improving to 2-1 on the season. The Stingers finally got it going as they dropped 449 yards of offence of the McGill defence.

The Redmen second-year pivot, Joel Houl,  had a rough day at the office as he went 21/36 for 264 yards and was intercepted three times by the ball-hawking Stingers defence.

Photo by Andrej Ivanov.
Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

For Concordia, the newly-minted starting quarterback Trenton Miller was in full effect Saturday as he picked apart the McGill secondary for 275 yards and two touchdowns. Miller demonstrated that he is not only dangerous through the air, but also on the ground as he chipped in 21 yards rushing along with a touchdown.

“I honestly think that our offensive line played a great game today. The defence came out strong, receivers made plays and running backs ran the ball, but I really believe that the offense line deserves a big shout-out today all of them,” Miller said after the game.

Jahlani Gilbert-Knorren, the quarterback who started the last two games for the Stingers looked comfortable in his new position at receiver, hauling in three catches for 48 yards and a touchdown.

“A lot more running, you have to be more physical, definitely different but I’m still part of the team and do whatever I can to help out” said the former quarterback.

The Stingers in their first two games struggled with running as they are third last in the CIS in rushing. Saturday they finally found a solution with first year running back, Jean-Guy Rimpel. Rimpel went for 135 rushing yards on 13 carries and averaged nine yards a carry.

The Stingers defence was a force to be reckoned with as they forced the Redmen to commit four turnovers. Stingers third year cornerback, Rashawn Perry who had one of the four Concordia interceptions said, “we pride ourselves on being the best in the country so to be the best, you have to cause turnovers on a week-to-week basis.”

Photo by Andrej Ivanov.
Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

The Shrine Bowl is more than just a rivalry game between McGill and Concordia; it’s also a promotional fundraiser for the Shriners Hospitals for Children.  Since its inception in 1987, the game has raised an estimated $900,000. Several of the players on both sides had the chance to visit some kids at the hospital last week.

“It’s such a prestige to be playing in the game, I wish that [I had] made the visit to the hospital this year, it is awesome to know what it stands for. It’s a privilege to be playing in it,” Perry said.

Photo by Andrej Ivanov.
Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

“I had the chance to meet some of the kids at the hospital, from beginning to end it was a great experience and Shriners put on a great event,” said Miller.

“It’s something that is special for the children and for ConU to be hosting the game and giving all of the proceeds to the Shriners hospital for the children that what the game is all about,” said Concordia coach, Mickey Donovan on the impact of the Shrine Bowl.

Next up for the Stingers will be a tough test against the reigning national champions from the University of Montreal, Saturday afternoon at Loyola.