Stingers drop final home game to Patriotes 4-2

patriotes
Hugo Roy and Philippe Pelletier-Leblanc scored for the Stingers. Photo by Hannah Ewen.

Concordia couldn’t continue momentum from Corey Cup win

The Concordia Stingers men’s hockey team lost 4-2 to the Université de Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) Patriotes Friday night. This was the team’s first game since their emotional overtime win last Saturday against McGill.

Only two minutes into the game, the Patriotes got onto the board. They scored another in the period to go up 2-0 after the first.  The Stingers led the period in shots 12-8, but didn’t have any real scoring chances.

The second period was much the same for the Stingers, as they were not able to get anything going. The Patriotes scored a shorthanded goal late in the second to make it 3-0.

patriotes
Captain Philippe Hudon (#7) will play in his final playoffs with the Stingers. Photo by Hannah Ewen.

“The first two periods were kind of flat, but sometimes that happens when you just played against a team like McGill,” said defenceman Carl Neill. “The rink was packed and we got a big win last week. It’s not really an excuse, especially going into the playoffs.”

“In the locker room, we told each other that we have one period to come out strong, and we did but we came up short,” said captain Philippe Hudon.

The third period started off very well; just 36 seconds in, Hugo Roy scored to put the Stingers on the board. Not even two minutes later, Philippe Pelletier-Leblanc scored to bring the Stingers within a goal.  

“We were not playing very well on the power play, so the goal was huge for our confidence,” said Roy regarding his goal.

Despite the two quick goals, it was too little too late as the Stingers weren’t able to get another one. The Patriotes iced the game with an empty netter with 15 seconds left.

“We won against McGill in a high emotion game, and sometimes these things happen but we need to get our focus back and get ready for the playoffs,” said head coach Marc-André Élement.

The Stingers lost to the University of Ontario Institute of Technology Ridgebacks, 5-3 on Saturday night. They finished in sixth place, and will play the Queen’s Gaels in the first round. The dates of the games will be released on Monday.

Main photo by Hannah Ewen.