Music In The News – Noel Gallagher, Bon Iver, Foster the People

Isn’t he a musician too?

In an interview with the A.V. Club last week, Noel Gallagher was his usual frank self. When asked why he doesn’t hang out with musicians, he said, “Because they’re fucking idiots.” Gallagher went further, explaining his reticence at the thought of forming a new group with British artists: “Oh, fuck that. I don’t fucking mix with anybody—British or any other musicians.” The interview also revealed the singer’s sentiments on his increasingly popular Tales From The Middle Of Nowhere tour blog, which he admitted he only started at the insistence of the people who run his website: “Let’s be under no illusions about what this actually means. It’s just a way of drawing people to the website so I can sell them some shit. That’s all it is.” In response to the mandatory Oasis reunion question, Gallagher acknowledged that a lot of his old band’s contemporaries were reforming, but that didn’t mean it was a good idea for them. He said he knew from experience the one way to get people to stop asking about a reunion was to do it, but he still was not interested. “I’m afraid I won’t be getting involved in any of that. There’s no need for me. I’m not interested in that kind of a thing.”

Bon Iver’s been scraping a lot of barrels lately

Bon Iver frontman Justin Vernon has designed a new guitar made from old Bushmill whiskey barrels and built by fellow Eau Claire resident Gordy Bischoff. The guitar, named “The 1608” after the year Bushmills was founded, will be auctioned off on eBay, with proceeds going to Eau Claire’s Confluence Project, which hopes to build a community arts center in Vernon’s home town. “The goal is to put art back on the map in Eau Claire. Far too many artists from this area have had to leave because what we want to do with our lives just isn’t possible here. That’s what the Confluence Project is: to build a center that can be a nucleus for art here in Eau Claire,” said Vernon. Interested in owning The 1608? The auction closes Nov. 1 and the latest bid as of this writing stands at over $8,000.

“Better run, run, run, faster than the bouncer”

Foster The People frontman Mark Foster was kicked out of a Prince gig in Los Angeles last week for using his cell phone. Prince has strictly forbidden the use of phones with recording capabilities at private shows, a rule Foster had apparently disregarded, which got him escorted out of The Sayers Club. The frontman begged security to let him back in, claiming he had an unpaid bar tab and promising that he wouldn’t use his phone to take photos, at which point they acquiesced and allowed the singer back in after checking his phone at the door. Foster was very understanding of the security’s reaction and said of the incident “It’s cool … Prince doesn’t play in front of 100 people every night.”