Top Ten Halloween-themed party songs

Listen up guys and ghouls. Halloween is upon us, and you know what that means: P-A-R-T-A-Y!

In this top ten, we take a look at some of the best tunes to properly get your groove on this Halloween.

10. “My Body’s A Zombie For You” – Dead Man’s Bones

Founded by hunky movie star Ryan Gosling, Dead Man’s Bones released their monster-themed, self-titled debut in 2009 to critical acclaim. Is there anything more creepy than a choir of children shouting, “My body’s a zombie for you!” Unless you’re into that … not judging!

9. “Poor Edward” – Tom Waits 

This is a song about Edward Mordrake, a 19th century heir to English nobility. He supposedly had a second face on the back of his head, which would laugh, cry and whisper to him in Satanic language. Poor Edward was driven to suicide at the age of 23.

8. “Sally’s Song” – Fiona Apple

Originally written for Tim Burton’s stop-motion masterpiece The Nightmare Before Christmas released in 1993. Sally was a rag doll and desperately in love with the film’s protagonist, Jack Skellington. In “Sally’s Song,” she laments her unrequited love for Jack. This song is perfect for a slow dance or a bump-in-the-night.

7. “Monster Mash” – Bobby “Boris” Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers

The song is narrated by a mad scientist whose monster arises to performs a new dance called “Monster Mash”. This 1962 novelty “mash” is sure to catch on in a flash, and be a graveyard smash!

6. “In A Gadda Da Vida” – Iron Butterfly

“Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll.” This 17-minute jam was famously covered in an episode of The Simpsons, as Bart exchanges the sheet music in church during Sunday mass from their usual hymns to this pipe organ-driven psychedelic rock number. An instant classic!

5. “I Put A Spell On You” – Bette Midler

Originally by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, “I Put A Spell On You” was performed in the 1993 Halloween-themed comedy Hocus Pocus. Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy are witches executed during the Salem witch trials, who come back to life on Halloween night for one purpose: to boogie!

4. “Ghostbusters Theme” – Ray Parker Jr.

This was the theme song for the 1984 cult classic, Ghostbusters. The film features Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Sigourney Weaver as unemployed parapsychology professors who create a ghost removal service —with hilarious results. This catchy tune is sure to haunt even the most skeptical.

3. “Time Warp” – Motion Picture Cast of The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Dust off those fishnets and corsets boys, because we’re doing the “Time Warp” again! This song was featured in the 1975 cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The film stars British actor Tim Curry as a sexually ambiguous and flirtatious ‘Sweet Transvestite’ from the planet Transsexual in the galaxy of Transylvania.

2. “Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565” – J. S. Bach

Although there is nothing inherently spooky about a pipe organ, the pop culture references transcend Bach’s original intention for the piece. With references ranging from Dracula to Phantom of the Opera, this melody is definitively Halloween. (Bonus: It also makes an obnoxious ringtone!)

1. “Thriller” – Michael Jackson 

Composed by Rod Temperton and produced by Quincy Jones, Thriller is one of Michael Jacksons’ lasting musical legacies. This song has it all: a killer beat, catchy hooks and a dance-ability that lands this song at the top of my list. All we need is Michael to come back from the grave this Halloween to re-enact the infamous music video.