Music in the News – April 8, 2014

Jack White to break a world record on Record Store Day

A few days after announcing the release of his new EP entitled Lazaretto, Jack White says he plans on breaking a world record for “fastest released record” for the albums’ title track. Rolling Stone magazine reports that White will perform on Record Store Day, April 19, in the Blue Room at his Third Man Records storefront in Nashville. He will cut and produce a 45, including the sleeve which will show a photo of him performing the song.  It will be sold at the store, exclusively on April 19, until demand ceases. A few select fans who are Platinum Members at Third Man Records will be able to purchase an “Ultra Ticket” to see White perform. The Lazaretto EP will be in stores on June 10. Jack White will be performing at Osheaga in August.

Cure frontman not happy with upcoming album

The Cure’s frontman Robert Smith has admitted he’s less-than-excited about his band’s upcoming album, Pitchfork reports. The new album entitled 4:14 Scream was recorded simultaneously with 4:13 Dream in 2008, and is set for release later this year. In an interview with XFM Radio, Smith says he wants to focus on recording with the band’s current lineup, as it has changed since the album was made. Veteran member Porl Thompson left the band in 2010, and two new members have joined after 4:14 Scream was recorded. Smith, who has been with the Cure since they were founded in 1976, says the band will likely never play songs from 4:14 Scream live in concert.

Michael Jackson to release new album

It’s good to know dying doesn’t play a factor in being able to release new music, at least not for Michael Jackson who will release an eight-song album, executively produced by L.A. Reid, CEO of Epic Records. Timbaland, Stargate, and Rodney Jenkins also helped in the collaboration. The album XSCAPE will be out May 13. A deluxe edition will also be available with the songs in their original form.

Reunion in the works for Love and Hole

Courtney Love and Hole will be reuniting, reports online magazine The Quietus. Love previously hinted at a reunion when she posted a photo on Instagram of her and old bandmate Eric Erlandson with the caption “2014 going to be a very interesting year.” Love and Erlandson will join Montreal native Melissa Auf Der Maur and Patty Schemel who recorded their last album Celebrity Skin in 1998 before disbanding in 2002. The four have “set aside differences” and plan on releasing new music together in the upcoming months. Love will embark on a solo UK tour in May.