CJLO’s Omar Husain takes home three awards from CMJ

In one of the Loyola campus’ many dark corners lurks a dark – and sexy – voice, if we are to believe the results of CJM’s 2nd annual College Radio Awards. CJLO’s Omar Husain came home from the New York showcasing event with no less than three awards to his name – “Music Director of the Year,” “Sexiest Phone Voice” for males, and “Music Director With The Best Band That Doesn’t Suck” for his involvement with alternative indie act Super/Heater – all won in competition with other North American university radio stations.

Husain said that for CJLO, he hopes the awards will “increase awareness for the station itself,” even though they have long been noticed on the college radio dial. With three awards out of three nominations, it would indeed seem people are taking notice.

On a more personal level Husain, who is an independent student at Concordia, said the most personally satisfying award was that of “Music Director of the Year”, although he admitted the other two were not without their charm.

This was the second time Husain went to CMJ to scout new bands, along with an impressive 14 other CJLO delegates. “We’re more like a family,” he said of the community within the radio station.

The CMJ music marathon is the winter’s most coveted music happening for those in the industry eager to learn what new bands to keep an eye on. But it is also a place for people involved in the music industry to learn from each other, to network and make contacts. Husain also took part in CMJ as a speaker at the “CMJ Music Director’s Summit”.

Although the radio station is still not ready for the AM dial it has been going strong at the internet for several years already. “The quality of the programming is already up there,” said Husain of the wait, adding that he thinks the biggest difference in the move is making the station more accessible. “Right now we have a pretty good following,” he said, with people tuning in from as far away as Germany.

According to Station Manager Chris Quinnell, an estimated 10-20 people find their way to the website for each show, with about half of them coming from Concordia.

CJLO was originally scheduled to start broadcasting on the AM wavelengths on January 6th, but according to Quinnell it has been delayed because they’re having trouble securing land for their antennae.

In addition to being CJLO’s music director, Husain is also the host of “Hooked on Sonics”, where he plays a mixture of indie rock and punk, with a mandate to bring the best new act to the forefront. In the coming weeks, expect bands such as Magneta Lane and Hot One to make an appearance.

Catch “Hooked on Sonics” Tuesday 6 – 8 pm.