The whos and whats of voting in concordia’s backyard

Westmount – Ville-Marie includes NDG east of Hingston Street, the city of Westmount, northern Saint-Henri, most of the borough of Ville-Marie and the Plateau’s west side. It’s also home to the SGW campus (and McGill).
This riding has gone Liberal since it was first contested in 1997. The seat has been vacant since January when MP Lucienne Robillard resigned. A byelection to replace her was scheduled for Sept. 8, but has been cancelled in the wake of the general election. Contesting the riding for the Liberal party will be Canada’s first man in space, and former director of the Canadian Space Agency, Marc Garneau. Standing for the NDP is Anne Lagacé Dowson, the former host of CBC Montreal’s Radio Noon. For the Conservatives is lawyer Guy Dufort. For the Green party is TV actor turned University of Vermont professor Claude William Genest, who is also one of the party’s deputy leaders. The Bloc Quebecois has nominated Charles Larivée, former president of the McGill University Student Society. While it is considered a safe Liberal seat (parts of the riding have voted Liberal since 1925), both the NDP and the Conservatives are hoping to make gains here.
Notre-Dame-de-Gr