Album Review: Au Verbs

Like a truly good art-school graduate, multi-instrumentalist Luke Wyland packed up his bags after graduating from the Massachusetts College of Art, and moved to Portland in 2005 in pursuit of his musical aspirations.
It was there in Rose City that Wyland’s classically trained hands orchestrated the creation of experimental folk-pop collective Au.
The band soon followed up on their 2007 self-titled debut, with their sophomore album Verbs.
From the merry carnival spirit of “RR vs D” to the lazy afternoon serenity of “Summerheat,” the frantic tribal vibrancy of “Are Animals,” the weeping clarinet of “All Myself,” and the rocking lull of “Sleep,” Au unleashed a record of expansive proportions.
Au blends American contemporary classical music tradition with pop music to carve out a niche of its own under the ever-bulging New Weird Americana umbrella.
Wyland’s reposeful vocals are joined by a lively choir of voices, including Becky Dawson of Saw Whet and Ah Holly Fam’ly who lends her milky vocals to the mix. The nine tracks also feature a myriad of instruments – banjos, accordions, clarinets, trombones – as well as the contributions of a dozen of friends from Portland.
Luke Wyland anchors around the ever-evolving roster of Au collaborators, including members of Parenthetical Girls, Yellow Swans and Evolutionary Jass Band. Wyland is also currently joined by Dana Valatka to make up the current touring outfit.
Making a name for themselves with their energetic live improvisations, Au recently completed a tour of the United States, opening for Deerhoof among others. They also stopped at Pop Montreal along the way to open for The Dodos.
Having garnered comparisons to Steve Reich, Animal Collective and Brian Eno, Wyland also cites John Coltrane, Terry Riley, Miles Davis, and The Microphones among key influences on his experimental approach to songwriting.
Oscillating between sprightly playfulness and meditative calm, the songs on Verbs are fuelled by Valatka’s potent drumming, weaving solemn intensity with an otherwise jaunty mood. Verbs is powerful, sweeping and magnetic.with an otherwise jaunty mood.

8/10