Miley Cyrus takes Montreal

Bangerz tour satisfies enthused fans

Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz tour came to the Bell Centre this past Saturday night to take over Montreal, at least for any girl in their tweens, teens or twenties.

The screams started in the line outside the Bell Centre before you could even enter the building, and they only got increasingly louder as the night progressed. Thousands of girls in crop tops, spandex and pleather swarmed into the arena smiling, squealing and “literally dying.”

Opening up the show was Swedish pop duo, Icona Pop. Dressed in futuristic looking outfits reminiscent of Milla Jovovich’s character Leeloo in the movie The Fifth Element, they pumped up the ‘smilers’ (Miley fans) with their fantastic energy. Dancing, jumping and rolling all around the stage, the duo opened with their hit “All Night,” finished with their first hit “I Love It” and even played a plastic kazoo somewhere in between.

More than 17,000 people packed the Bell Centre for Miley Cyrus on Saturday night.

After a short intermission, the room went black and screams louder than any you’ve ever heard in your entire life pierced your eardrums and took over the arena. It was time: Miley Cyrus was going to be on stage in a matter of mere moments.

A huge projection of Cyrus’ face including her rolling eyes rose from the floor, then her projected mouth opened and let out a huge tongue-shaped slide. As the tongue descended anticipation silenced the screamers, but when Cyrus began to slide down, the screams got louder than what I had imagined to be humanly possible.

Opening with her song “SMS (Bangerz),” Cyrus danced with a flock of fuzzy animal mascots and back-up dancers of all shapes and sizes while ‘90s inspired cartoons lit up the backdrop.

Her props included a gold truck, a giant bed, a monstrous owl and a huge, jumbo hot dog that descended from the ceiling; which of course Cyrus got on and rode while it floated all around the stage.

The concert also had a twerkfest, a kiss-cam during her song “Adore You” which scoured the audience and encouraged friends, couples and strangers to make out, and a grandma sitting front-row who threw her gigantic bra at Cyrus.

While some parts of the concert were expected, like her obscure bodysuits, sticking out her tongue or her endorsement of marijuana, there were many highlights fans were not expecting.

Cyrus showed her passion for entertainment and her dedication to her fans by singing many extra songs and really engaging as much as possible with her audience. Cyrus covered and performed “Jolene” by Dolly Parton, “The Scientist” by Coldplay, “Summertime Sadness” by Lana Del Rey and also brought out a few of her older songs.

Finishing off her set with “We Can’t Stop” and “Wrecking Ball,” the two biggest singles off the album thus far, Cyrus only left fans begging and screaming for more. As some of the crowd started to exit the stadium, a row of eight girls wearing matching white crop tops, jean shorts, pig buns and red lipstick warned the other concert-goers: “IT’S NOT DONE YET!”

Cyrus appeared for her final act dressed in an American flag bodysuit, a blonde wig and white leather cowboy boots with a matching hat. Every tween, teen and twenty-something knew it was time for “Party in the USA.”