Jazz concerts offer a great way to relax

Looking for a way to relax during this hectic time of final papers and exams? Well what better way to do so then with some soulful Jazz? The eight-piece Voodoo Jazz ensemble will be launching their second full-length album MO FAT this Saturday at L’Alize (900 Ontario). The group, which combines jazz with Hip-Hop, Latin Rhythm, and Funk says they are on “mission to make the audience groove” and is a sure bet if you’re looking to unwind after a hard day’s cramming.

For Jazz aficionados who want to learn more about the music they love, there will be a great opportunity this Saturday afternoon at Concordia: Wali Muhammad, a professional musician for over 25 years (15 of which performing with the late great Charlie Biddle at Biddle’s Jazz) will be conducting a pay-what-you-can workshop on the fundamentals of the art-form at 3:00 p.m. in the Concordia Music Department (Loyola Campus Room RF-110) There will also be a performance with Mohammad on drums, Josh Rager on piano, and Frederic Alarie on bass.

Finally, Concordia hip-hop group, The Specifics, noted for their infectious jazzy hooks will be giving a concert at Blue Dog’s (3958 St-Laurent St.) long running Back to Basics Hip-Hop night this Saturday. Cover is only $5 so check them out as a reward for all the hard work you’ve done during the week.