September Art Calendar

DIE-IN MONTREAL
The 22nd just so happens to be international car-free day. In honour of us bi-pedals taking the streets back, Die-in 2008 is scheduled in downtown Montreal. What’s a “die-in” you might ask? Well, you pretend to be dead in the middle of a busy intersection to make a symbolic point. So, if you have a beef with the traffic on our streets, then go gather with some like-minded souls.
Square Phillips (downtown near The Bay), Sep. 22, 3 p.m.

GOING FOR THE WARHOL
Home is where the art is. Andy Warhol had the Silver Factory, a creative community made viable by the work produced within its confines – sometimes during its famous parties. The Factory Project pays homage to the creative space with a loft full of different artistic happenings and of course, a party.
Eastern Block, 7240 Clark, Sep. 20, 24-27.
Check out www.factoryproject.ca

A HIT BEFORE YOUR MOTHER WAS BORN
Tired of the same old 10-to-3 dance grind? Maybe you could up the ante with a frock or two in an old style way. Reviving and rejuvenating the art of scandalous suggestion, Blue Light Burlesque is gearing up for another season of skirt-whirling, bottle-swilling antics. The show will go on every month, starting now.
Le Petit Campus, Sep. 24, $10.

CHUCK D IS TALKING TO YOU
The CSU speaker series kicks off this year with Chuck D: Race, Rap, and Reality. While getting to know the man behind the music, Chuck D will discuss individualism, racial issues and music in today’s youth.
Room H-110, Sep. 23, 7:00 p.m. Free tickets at CSU office.

ART FROM OUR OWN
The faculty of fine arts is featuring four of its artists’ works. This creative pastiche has a bit of everything, notably works exploring the vernacular of materialism, the absurdity of western excess, short videos from an array of filmmakers and our audible effect on an inanimate object’s personal space bubble.
FOFA gallery, 1515 Ste. Catherine, Sep. 2-26. Free.
www.fofagallery.concordia.ca

THE ART OF WAR
Is there a war going on? Is peace only pretense for war or vice-versa? What’s the difference? Signals in the Dark: Art in the Shadow of War investigates the intersections between perpetual war, dominant politics and visual culture. The interdisciplinary exposition challenges the war machine and it’s phantasmagoric spectacle – aspiring towards somber reflection.
Leonard and Bina Ellen art gallery, Concordia downtown library, 5:30-7:30 daily.