Happening in and around the White Cube this week….

Happening in and around the White Cube this week…

Gráfica Abierta

Curated by Santiago Pérez Garci, the director of the Museo Nacional de la Estampa in Mexico City, this exhibition focuses on the practice of printmaking. Featuring nine artists and their works, Gráfica Abierta looks at the growing interdisciplinary focus on contemporary printmaking, and challenges traditional models of the practice. This group exhibition is showing at several artist-run centres in the Belgo Building.

When: Now until Dec. 1
Where: The Belgo Building, 372 Ste Catherine W.
Admission is free.

HTMlles Festival Opening Night

Since 1997, this festival has focused on media arts and digital cultures, while exploring it from a socio-political and feminist perspective. HTMlles will feature a diverse range of events, such as exhibitions, performances, workshops and panels. The festival has a strong mandate to provide a platform for women, trans and gender non-conforming artists, and to create an anti-oppression environment. Following its opening party, the festival will be holding events until Nov. 5 in various locations around the city.

When:  Nov. 1, 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Where: 4001 Berri St.
Admission is free.

Stratification Vernissage

Art Mûr is welcoming several new exhibitions, including Laurent Lamarche’s Stratification, which uses interdisciplinary mediums and sculptural forms. Lamarche’s work looks at the connections and tensions between past and present, organic and futuristic. With the use of a 3D printer for some works, as well as other mediums, Lamarche presents an interesting collection of works for viewers to explore.

When: Nov. 3, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Art Mûr, 5826 St-Hubert St.
Admission is free.

Zei Gezunt // Porte-toi bien // Keep Well

Focusing on the journey of a refugee during World War II and the role of everyday objects throughout this journey, Zei Gezunt looks at the life of Lejb Pilanski and his experiences during this time period. The exhibition features the improvised household objects Pilanski had throughout his journey, and explores the deeper significance of these items in their historical context. Other constructed items, personal materials, audio and video and photographs are included in the exhibit, adding to the exploration of displacement within everyday, seemingly insignificant items. This exhibit is in connection with the Museum of Jewish Montreal’s series, Movements and Migrations, which considers all forms of mobility, from physical to emotional, and the presence of displacement, loss and belonging within these themes.

When: Now until Jan. 20
Where: Museum of Jewish Montreal, 4040 St-Laurent Blvd.
Admission is free.

Graphic by Ana Bilokin.