Happening in and around the White Cube this week…

The Centaur Theatre is ringing in the New Year with the Wildside Festival, in its 22nd year. Along with showcasing many shows by different production companies, the festival is in partnership with the Offside Festival. This partnership dedicates Thursday and Friday nights to sounds from Montreal’s musical landscape being performed in the Centaur Gallery after the last show of the evening, with this Saturday dedicated to Patti Smith. Although the Festival is already underway, take a look at what shows are left for the remainder of the week!

Body So Fluorescent

A one-woman show featuring Amanda Cordner asks questions about blackness, otherness and oppression. Fluorescent, written in two parts, is about Gary, a gay, white male, and Desiree, a straight, black woman, who are trying to figure out how they ended up in an explosive fight the night before. In the process, Desiree goes through the motions of trying to imagine what her life would be like as Gary and stunning revelations are made.

When: Jan. 16 and 19 at 9 p.m., and Jan. 18 at 7 p.m.

Hyena Subpoena

Another one-woman show, Hyena is performed by Montreal’s own Cat Kidd. The storyline is inspired by Kidd’s tour in South Africa in 2007. Mona Morse, Kidd’s character and the narrator of the poems based on the trip, shows the connection between humans and animals. She shows how both species can be quite similar by bending the boundaries between human and animal form on stage.

When: Jan. 15 and 17 at 7 p.m. and Jan. 20 at 3 p.m.

Crime After Crime (After Crime)

This is the story of three different crime periods in Crime City: a film noir of the 50s, a heist of the 70s, and a buddy cop story of the 90s. The comedy thriller, full of everything you hope to see in a cop production—murder, mystery, car chases and more—won the Just For Laughs Best Comedy Award at the 2018 Montreal Fringe Festival.

When: Jan. 15 at 9 p.m. and Jan. 16 at 7 p.m.

Sapientia

The story of Sapientia comes from Hroswitha of Gandersheim, a poetess of 10th century Germany. It’s about the Christian martyrdom of a woman and her three daughters as they face persecution. Instead of people, the Scapegoat Carnivale Production company uses everyday objects such as mirrors, teacups and pomegranates to let the story unfold.

When: Jan. 17 and 18 at 9 p.m., and Jan. 19 at 3 p.m.

The Gentle Art of Punishment

This multidisciplinary performance—filled with dance, music and text—is a piece about three young women unravelling their childhoods in a dream-like narrative. It is a piece that was created by the Daughter Product, a group of young female Montreal artists. The Gentle Art of Punishment explores the world we live in today, what it means to be a woman in today’s world and what we do when dealing with a crisis.

When: Jan. 19 and 20 at 7 p.m.

To purchase tickets, visit https://centaurtheatre.com/wildside-festival.html.