Arts in Brief

→ M❤NTREAL Photographic Exhibition

Culture & Language Connections Montreal will be hosting the first M❤NTREAL Photographic Exhibition. The exhibit opened Oct. 20 and will run until Jan. 11, 2013.

The exhibit features a look at Montreal through the lens of local photographers; a glimpse of Montreal as you’ve never seen it before.

Featured artists include: Angela Auclair, Laura Arwen Berg, Kristofferson Brice, Edmond Chung, Ron Harris, Christopher McMullen, David Nuff, Kyle Ruggles, Darina Velkova, Nadia Zheng.

Culture & Language Connections Montreal is located at 4260 Girouard. For more information visit: www.montrealphotographicexhibition.weebly.com

– – – – –

→ Beauty and the Breast at Cineplex Forum

Beauty and the Breast investigates the devastating reality of living with breast cancer. Winner of the best documentary at last month’s Montreal World Film Festival, Beauty and the Breast opened Oct. 19 at Cineplex Forum.

The film explores and demystifies the disease through the eyes of nine women, painting a poignant and at times comedic portrait of survival. The film looks at every stage of the disease, beginning with diagnosis, following the women through their physical and mental experiences.

– – – – –

→ Get Animated! at The National Film Office

The sixth edition of Get Animated! — a celebration of the finest and most comedic animation from across the country — arrives in Montreal Oct. 28. The National Film Board of Canada, in collaboration with local partners across Canada, offers free screenings and workshops for audiences of all ages. Highlights include the Genie Award-winning production Romance by Georges Schwizgebel, Edmond Was a Donkey, winner of the Special Jury Award at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival and Oedipus, an NFB short by Oscar Nominee Paul Driessen.

Workshops will be offered in English or French, but you must register in advance by calling 514-283-9000. The National Film Office is located at 3155 de la Côte de Liesse. For more information visit nfb.ca/getanimated

– – – – –

→ Stories We Tell at Cineplex Forum

Players of the children’s game ‘telephone’ will know that a story can change the more people who tell it and the relating of events takes on different shapes based on who’s relating them. Filmmaker Sarah Polley explores this concept in her film Stories We Tell which opened Oct. 19 at Cineplex Forum and which will be shown with French subtitles beginning Oct. 26 at Excentris. Polley interviews members of her family, each person telling his or her version of the family’s mythology, sometimes relating contradictory information. A deeply personal film that explores how a person’s narrative shapes them as individuals and as part of a family, the film played to rave reviews at multiple film festivals.