Preparing to succeed at theatre auditions

Graphic by Jennifer Kwan

For those whose passion lies in theatre, it is a known fact that pursuing acting can be exhilarating and stressful at times. The final result that the audience sees played out on stage involves immense amounts of work and time, talent and most of all tenacity. Yet, all this starts with an audition.

Graphic by Jennifer Kwan

A second year theatre performance major at Concordia, Meagan Schroeder, shared some helpful and insightful tips when auditioning for a play.

The most important thing, Schroeder says, is to “walk in with confidence and a straight posture. First impressions are everything.” Another measure to take is allowing yourself time to do a warm up before the tryouts. Exercising the mouth and warming up muscles before you go in to an audition prepares the person auditioning to be able to give a great performance and put them in the right mindset.

It can be daunting and extremely intimidating to walk into a room with a panel of directors and managers and audition to be a part of something huge. The fear of failure and messing up creates anxiety, which can hinder not only a person’s confidence, but their performance as well.

A person auditioning for a play can spend weeks preparing material to perform in the audition, and sometimes all of this preparation can be ruined if nerves get in the way.

Most importantly, Schroeder advises, is not to overthink. People auditioning need to “trust their gut, because if they hesitate, it will make them seem unsure of themselves, or that they are going to be difficult to work with, and need more direction than others normally would,” She added.

When entering into the world of acting, the competition can be cut-throat. However, not getting a part in a production doesn’t mean failure. The most successful actors and actresses are not the ones that easily get every part they audition for, but those who don’t succeed at first. People who can take criticism and use it to fuel their passion and drive are successful.

It is always important when auditioning for plays to have a thick skin. Asking the director for feedback on an audition and practicing with peers is a great way to improve as an actor. In fact, the more feedback one receives, the more room there is for improvement and success.

So, aspiring thespians of Concordia, go forth, audition and take advantage of what Concordia and Montreal’s performing arts landscape has to offer. Let these tips and your muses be your guide.