QUICKSPINS: 21 Savage — american dream

Cover art courtesy of Apple Music.

21 Savage’s newest project follows his path to fame, with more intense tracks alongside chill beats.

american dream by 21 Savage starts and ends with his mother’s voice. The first monologue features his mother, Heather Carmillia Joseph, as she talks about her hopes and desires for her son. The album concludes with her acknowledging his success. The American dream, if such a thing exists, is his, and he constantly expresses surprise at how he has survived his life thus far, such as in the final song off the album, “dark days.”

Shéyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, known as 21 Savage, is a British-American rapper based in Atlanta, Georgia. His stage name refers to a shooting on his 21st birthday that took his friend Johnny’s life. His most recent album american dream marks his first solo effort since i am > i was in 2018, and first release since the Metro Boomin-assisted SAVAGE MODE II in 2020. It runs just under 50 minutes long with 15 tracks, featuring collaborations with Doja Cat, Young Thug, Metro Boomin and Travis Scott, among others. 

The album has a liberal structure, using two monologues as a framing device. It leaves breathing room for the songs to speak for themselves while tying into the general themes of the album which include loss,  loyalty, violence and love, all of which Savage has been exploring throughout his career. Tracks like “redrum” highlight his recurring use of violent imagery, which dates back to his earliest projects like The Slaughter Tape (2015). His lyrics pull heavily from his own life. In the song “letter to my brudda” he outlines his loyalty to Young Thug and empathizes with his plight. It is an expression of love and friendship that recalls “letter 2 my momma” off the album i am > i was

The tracks on this album come together to create a complex picture of his life and thoughts at the time of recording, like with his previous releases. 21 Savage explores loss not only through death but also through incarceration. He condemns other rappers for snitching and talks about the injustice of the system that stripped his loved ones from his life—including Johnny. Abraham-Joseph carries this loss with him not only through his stage name, but also through an emotional current, almost as if to say “this is for you.” His success and career are all in memory of Johnny. 

There is a lot of variety in the sound on american dream, achieved through sampling and catchy soul and R&B beats. There are darker instrumentals, such as on “redrum.” Yet, he samples Mary J. Blige’s “I Don’t Want to Do Anything” on “should’ve wore a bonnet,” which has a chill, ballad vibe. 21 Savage’s talent is obvious from his lyricism to his composition. He uses metaphors and wordplay to elevate his lyrics.

The end of american dream is hopeful. 21 Savage talks about how he never thought he’d make it, and encourages his listeners to keep going. Heather Carmillia Joseph wishes her son even greater success now that he has this foundation of fame. She hopes for more for him, as every mother does.

Score: 7/10

Trial Track: dangerous