Porqueria Party takes on Montreal

2024 poster of Planet Porq. Courtesy of Samia Liamani.

Ready to party? Planet Porq is invading this week.

Samia Liamani is a multifaceted creative (DJ, casting agent, art director, photographer, and more) based in Mexico who was raised in Montreal. She throws events under the banner “Porqueria Party,” hosting parties all over the world with curated DJ lineups. These events are all united by the overarching theme of “global sounds.” “From South African Amapiano to Brazilian funk to Reggaeton to Angolan Kuduro, French Caribbean Shatta, the common thread is the undeniably infectious way you will want to move your body to the beat,” Liamani explained in a press release.

Following Korea and Mexico, Canada is the latest country to be treated to its own Porqueria Party, with a curated calendar in February titled “Planet Porq.” Across seven days of events, Montreal’s local talent, cultural abundance, and variety of musical styles will be showcased in different venues through different DJs.

Kicking things off is French DJ-producer Lazy Flow, who is set to make his first Canadian appearance at Théâtre Fairmount on Feb. 2. His eclectic style is described in Porqueria’s press release as “celebrations and a mastery of rhythms inherited from the pioneers of House, the icons of Ballroom, the jerking of Baile Funk, UK Bass, Bouyon, Shatta and beyond.” Flow is headlining for DISCOÑO, a local queer Latinx dance party collective. Joining him on the lineup are local DJs mCherry, Jerico, and La Niña Kiwi.

Porqueria is set to take over Nouvel Établissement on Feb. 3, with a star-studded lineup of DJs who have played across Montreal’s most popular clubs (Apartment 200, Soubois, Francesco’s, etc.). The lineup consists of Samia, Chloe Lallouz, A$h Banks, Teo2k, Jashim, Gurafiku, and Manalou. A blend of Afrobeats, house music, Amapiano, hip-hop, Brazilian baile funk, Arabic music, and queer club music is to be expected, along with other genres. The night is also a dress-up party with a “future rodeo” theme—everyone is encouraged to revive their silver-studded outfits from Beyoncé’s Renaissance Tour.

Gurafiku expressed gratitude for being invited back after playing for Porqueria in Korea. The “global sounds” theme allows her to diversify her sound in a personal way: “I can play things from my Caribbean background, so I’m happy and honoured.”

On Feb. 7, Samia will team up with Vancouver DJ-producer RICHTANNER® and fellow Mexican producer Bastian Bell to put an international spin on R&B200, the increasingly popular R&B-focused nights at Apartment 200. The trio will also be gathering the following night at Vino Disco for a showcase of Up Records (the collective to which RICHTANNER® and Bell belong) and their latest edit pack (remixes of existing songs).

Finally, Porqueria is teaming up with local Latin music collective Frikiton on Feb. 9. The collective is already set to play at IglooFest, with Samia and mCherry subsequently playing the official “après-ski” after party at Velvet, a speak-easy. Liamani teases “reggaeton, guaracha, cumbia, moombahton and more.” 

If you’re looking to party, Porqueria has you absolutely covered with its DJ calendar packed from end-to-end with talent and culture. Regardless of which DJ or music style you land on, you are guaranteed to end up dancing.

“Rather than highlight one specific kind of music, we are more focused on promoting a sense of community. Coming together can be a nice example that more can be achieved through collaboration in creative spaces,” said Liamani.

See the full calendar of Planet Porq in Montreal below.

Feb. 2 – Discoño at Fairmount Theatre – Tickets

Feb. 3 – Porqueria at Nouvel Établissment – Tickets

Feb. 7 – R&B200 at Apt 200 (Guestlist)

Feb. 8 – Futureporq at Vino Disco – Free

Feb. 9 – Frikiton at Igloofest + Après-Ski at Velvet – Tickets