2008 Provincial Election Primer

Liberal Party

Economy

– Will increase financial support for the implementation of job training programs.
– Has pledged to increase the minimum wage by $.50 in 2009, and a further $.50 in 2010, to $9.50.
– Promises to increase the budget of the Quebec infrastructure plan from $37 billion to $41 billion between 2009 and 2013, in order to create 100,000 new jobs.

Environment

– Will plant 100 million trees in the southern region of Quebec’s northern territory to promote re-forestation and create a carbon sink.
– Pledges to increase energy production under the Northern Plan by 3,500 MW, 20 per cent of which will be from renewable sources like solar, wind and hydro.

Foreign Policy

– Intends to use its influence with the federal government to push for a Canada – E.U. free-trade agreement.
– Supports Quebec’s increased independent participation in international diplomatic forums like UNESCO.

Sovereignty

– Broadly supports the status quo of Quebec’s continued participation in Canadian federalism.

Culture

– Pledges to abolish the QST on all Quebec cultural products to promote consumption of made in Quebec CDs, DVDs, movie and concert tickets, books and visual arts works.
– Will increase funding for Quebec’s film and television industry by $11 million, allowing for the production of six additional films.

Parti Quebecois

Economy

– Will invest in job training and education to create 700,000 new skilled jobs in Quebec between 2008 and 2011.
– Creation of mortgage tax credit for households whose income is less than $150,000, equal to 20 per cent of the first $5,000 of annual interest payments.
– Eliminate taxes on capital by 2010.

Environment

– Pledges a 20 per cent reduction in Quebec’s dependence on oil by 2030, a 25 per cent reduction in greenhouse gases from transportation by 2020, as well as a 20 per cent reduction in GHG emissions by 2020.
– Intends to increase installed wind power production to 12,000 MW in Quebec between 2020 and 2030.

Foreign Policy

– Increase the presence of Quebec in the institutions of the European Community and the OECD.
– Foster bilateral diplomatic ties with countries where Quebec has economic, political or cultural interests.
– Will promote French as an international language in commerce and diplomacy.

Sovereignty

– Will adopt a constitution to establish Quebec citizenship in the Quebec National Assembly. Pauline Marois has stated new immigrants would have to demonstrate an “appropriate” knowledge of French to obtain citizenship.
– Calls for businesses and shops to hire one to 50 french employees depending on the size of the employer.

Culture

– Will strengthen ties between the Ministries of Education and Culture while promoting schools as a place for learning about cultural and the arts.
– Promises to increase the production capacity and broadcasting reach of Tele-Quebec; the province’s only public television channel.

ADQ

Economy

– Plans to reduce the number of civil servants and outside contractors employed by the provincial government. The ADQ believes this will save $600 million.
– Proposed to reduce the debt by $10 billion by privatizing 7.5 per cent of Hydro-Quebec.
– Will cut $1 billion in grants and subsidies to businesses.

Environment

– Has pledged $85 million in new environmental spending.
– ADQ policy director Stéphane le Bouyonnec has criticized the Liberal party for failing to meet emission standards set under the Kyoto Protocol.
– Advocates a strong environmental policy for Quebec.

Foreign Policy

– The ADQ has no foreign policy, although Mario Dumont has hinted he believes foreigners should mind their own business and leave Quebec alone.

Sovereignty

– Mario Dumont rejects the “centralist vision of Canada” and wants Quebec to acquire autonomy within a Canadian confederation.
– Argues the Constitution of Canada, as it is currently formulated, isn’t relevant to the political discourse in Quebec.

Culture

– Mario Dumont vehemently criticized the Quebec Ministry of Education’s new culture and ethics course.
– The ADQ has made Quebec identity a central tenet of their platform. As such, they’ve pledged $35 million to promote Quebec culture.

Parti Solidaire

Economy

– Promises to increase government revenue through tax reform, repeal anti-union laws and support a “social economy.”
– Intends to increase taxes on capital gains and dividends to 100 per cent.
– Wishes to extend vacation periods from three to five weeks.

Environment

– Intends to nationalize the wind power industry, called Eole-Quebec, along the lines of Hydro-Quebec to drive investment in new technology and infrastructure.
– Promises to work towards meeting the carbon dioxide emission reductions outlined under the Kyoto Protocol.

Foreign Policy

– Quebec Solidaire opposes globalization, the international free market economy, and free trade.
– Is not in favour of Canada’s mission in Afghanistan.

Sovereignty

– Is in favor of full Quebec sovereignty and independence. Intends to build a society based on “justice, equality, and solidarity.”
– Quebec Solidaire also wishes to enact voting reform and establish a Constituent Assembly to more thoroughly represent Quebecers.

Culture

– Intends to phase out tuition fees.
– Will strictly enforce Bill 101. They will also introduce official leave for language training to be jointly financed by government and the private sector.