ConU leads the way in genomic research

How would you feel about writing on paper that was produced using natural processes?

Concordia’s Centre for Structural and Functional Genomics (CSFG) says that maybe in the future many of our pulp and paper products will be created in large part by fungi.

Researchers at CSFG are painstakingly sifting through the genetic material of many fungi species, hoping to clue in on how their molecular makeup give them the unique ability to break down wasteful materials in a wide range of environments.

“The main purpose [of the research] is to determine the genetic blueprint…find out what types of enzymes are being used,” says Dr. Adrian Tsang, director at the centre.

“We can see if they can harness these enzymes to mimic them in a factory type environment.”

The enzymes most heavily analyzed in the project have been those in wood degrading fungi, which can potentially be used to replace harmful chemicals in the pulp and paper industry.

Funded by a research grant from the Natural Science and Engineering Council (NSERC), the project partners up with the Biology, Biochemistry and Computer Science departments at Concordia.

The centre was launched three years ago with start-up funds from the National Science and Engineering Research Council totalling $3.6 million for four years.

The project also received $1.25 million from both the federal and Qu