Wrestle over tacos and beer at Nacho Libre

The colourful decorations and authentic cuisine are sure to charm guests.

Just off St-Hubert Plaza in La Petite-Patrie, there exists a taberna in which anyone can truly feel at home called Nacho Libre, a Mexican-themed establishment unlike any other in Montreal.
As I step through the entrance way, I am immediately struck by the relaxed atmosphere. The soft orange lighting coupled with the cushioned banquette seating gives me the urge to sit back and enjoy a cigar.
The bar plays a mix of electro, classic rock and alternative, which only adds to the casual vibe.
The decor is eclectic and provides a good deal of conversation fodder. The left wall is adorned with large posters depicting some of Mexico’s finest luchadores. These luchadores come in just about every shape and size, and are dressed in costumes that vary from an ancient Aztec warrior to a giant panda. Hanging above them is a life-size replica of a swordfish wearing a sombrero.
Across from the luchadores, running along the centre of the bar, are of row of high tables with chairs that hang from the ceiling with steel chains. This unique seating arrangement is surprisingly comfortable for couples, but also allows the more childish among us to swing violently from side to side without regard for those walking by.
The service is very quick to come by my table with a menu. Feeling peckish, I decide to order the house specialty: the tacos.
I indulge in the beef and pork and am not disappointed. Made from scratch, the tacos taste fresh and warm. They are accompanied by a wide array of toppings, from homemade guacamole to chimichurri, and are complemented very cleverly with some fresh cilantro. The six taco plate is sufficient to satisfy just about any man, while the 12 taco plate is great for larger groups. The tequila selection is rather varied and has something for just about every price point.
Of course, a man with as discerning an eye as mine is bound to find something wrong. The bar’s beer selection, for instance, is rather lacking. The only Mexican beers they have in stock are Dos Equis and Sol, which happen to be two of the more commercial brands available in just about any supermarket.
Overall, Nacho Libre provides a very enjoyable experience. It’s a great place to bring a date, and there’s plenty of space to go in groups.

Nacho Libre is located at 913 Beaubien E., just off St-Hubert. It’s open until 1 a.m. from Monday to Wednesday, and until 3 a.m. from Thursday through Saturday.