Interstellar looking galaxies away from a win

Christopher Nolan’s film will likely be overlooked come awards season in favour of traditional movies

With awards season just around the corner, I thought I would take the time to showcase what I believe is the best movie of the past year: Interstellar, a movie written and directed by Christopher Nolan, a movie that has been overlooked so far in the first of Hollywood’s awards shows.

The film explores the distant and bleak future in which Earth’s days are numbered because drought and famine are slowly killing all forms of life, featuring astronauts who go searching for a new planet that can sustain human life. Matthew McConaughey, fresh off of last year’s Oscar win, plays Cooper, a retired astronaut who decides to go on the last mission to try to save mankind.

As a proud film buff I can honestly say that of every movie that I have seen grace the silver screen in 2014, Interstellar is the one I am still thinking about months later.

Nolan impresses with his astonishing visuals and thought-provoking themes, but decides to enter unchartered directorial territory by adding a surprising amount of emotional depth to Interstellar. The father-daughter relationship within the film feels so authentic and honest that it is comparable to real life.

As I was travelling through the CGI depths of space, I was amazed by the film’s ability to provoke thoughts not only about the future, but also religion, life, family, and love. I found it to be truly refreshing, especially when you consider other science fiction movies that are stuck in tunnel vision, with traditional linear plots that usually limit the possible “what ifs” about our future.

With a running time of over three hours, you would think this film would have you growing restless in your seat, or would perhaps lose your interest sometime during its exaggerated length.

Instead, boasting a brilliant score by the masterful Hans Zimmer, this film envelops you into its world, making you beg and plead for this journey not to end.

It had been eons (ha) since I left a film ready and willing to watch it immediately again, knowing very well that I wasn’t going to get sick of it no matter how many times I watched it.

Honestly, no collection of words can possibly describe how brilliant and exciting this film is in my eyes. Nolan has once again proven that he is one of the greatest filmmakers of the modern cinema-scape, with yet another film capable of standing the test of time because of its rewatchability and simply timeless plot, which will make for one hell of an exciting adventure.

Sadly, this is yet another film in Nolan’s already legendary filmography the members of the academy will brush aside like brussels sprouts, in favour of some historical film that took place during a time when they were actually young, or something comparably depressing.

If you haven’t seen Interstellar, please take the time to go enjoy it on the big screen, and join me in the fight to bring original films to the front of the Oscar race, because it is truly astounding to watch something spectacular that started off as a small, preliminary idea in someone’s head.

Since Interstellar likely won’t win best picture this year, here’s hoping Birdman or Grand Budapest Hotel becomes the figurative “first stone cast,” benching historical films from awards season in favour of some more original movies.

1 comment

1. It is actually 2 hours and 49 minutes long. Not over 3 hours! Saw it 4 times on the big screen!!! Teared up every time! One of my favourite movies ever!! Will by the blueray when it comes out!!