“Read any good books this summer?”

The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney Press

Zombie apocalypses, dysfunctional families, some horror and a really old guy

World War Z- Max Brooks

World_War_Z_book_cover

World War Z, written by Max Brooks, documents the events of “The Crisis,” a virus outbreak that kills victims and then reanimates them as destructive and murderous zombies.  What makes this book so unique is the style in which it is written.  Brooks divides the book into sections, starting with the warning signs of the outbreak and ending with the rebuilding the world as it becomes livable again. Brooks shows how the world and different countries handle themselves in crisis, how people fight back, how they survive and move forward.  The entire book is told through  interviews conducted by a nameless narrator, as survivors of “The Crisis” from all over the world recollect their personal experiences. The stories told are by different people, from all around the world and all walks of life. No two stories are the same. It is a fascinating read that will leave you uncomfortable, emotional and wondering what you would do if zombies took over the planet.

By Rebecca Luger

The Nest- Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney Press

Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney’s debut novel, “The Nest,” tells the story of a wealthy and dysfunctional New York family. The story follows the four Plumb siblings as they anxiously wait to receive their inheritance, referred to as “the nest”.  The Plumb family consists of Leo Plumb, the former millionaire playboy whose upcoming divorce and list of legal woes has him down to his last dollar; Jack Plumb, who is married to a successful New York lawyer, but can’t seem to become successful through any of his own financial investments; Melody Plumb, who devotes her life to her twin daughters and ensures that they are received as the wealthy socialites she wishes them to be; and Beatrice Plumb, the once-successful author-turned-shut-in. Together, these siblings turn lying into an art. You root for them, yet are repulsed and embarrassed by many of their decisions.

By Krystal Carty

Lisey’s Story- Stephen King

Lisey's_Story_(book_cover)This book is the perfect blend of horror, unexpected romance, family tension and other worldly fantasies that only Stephen King could conjure up. The story follows a widow and her struggle to finally put her late husband’s memory to rest. Her journey takes her through intense physical and mental strain. The book doesn’t focus just on the horror side of the story, or on the more personal family side of it—both elements balanced well. Drawing from stories of the past to decorate and enhance the intensity of the present, King solidifies Lisey’s Story as one of his most captivating books I’ve yet read. King should also be praised for flawlessly sewing a fantasy world into the story in a way that, surprisingly, seems effortless. I’d highly recommend this book as one of King’s crowned jewels.

By Sarah Jesmer

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Jumped Out the Window and Disappeared- Jonas Jonasson51OY+Ih8XLL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_

This book was a bit more of a drag than the title spells out, but a pleasant read all the same. The main storyline of the 100-year-old man, Allan, is interesting enough. It’s a well-written, detailed and fast-paced adventure that features running from gang members and accidentally becoming a wanted fugitive. The story captivates readers by switching back and forth between the present and the past to tell the story of Allan’s life, and how he ends up witnessing historically significant events seemingly by accident. This book is good reading material to break out on the subway when you need a bit of a distraction.

By Sarah Jesmer