This week’s opportunities for fine arts students

Graphic by Carleen Looney

Check out these upcoming opportunities for emerging artists, including callouts, job listings, networking events and more!

Discover

Be sure not to miss Toronto-based artist Shary Boyle’s current exhibition “Vesselling” at Patel Brown gallery (372 Rue Ste-Catherine O, #410). Boyle’s idiosyncratic works combine painting and sculpture to create surreal and fantastical compositions. Each piece is full of color, texture and curiosity. The show will be on view from Feb. 29 through April 20. Learn more at the gallery’s website here.

Articule (6282 Rue St-Hubert) is now exhibiting the work of Montréal-based artist Yen-Chao Lin and Concordia alumnus Justine Skahan in a show entitled “Host.” According to the gallery’s website, their work explores  “notions of home and displacement.” The show will be on view from March 8 to April 20.

It is not too late to catch the group show “Catalog of Ruins,” currently on view at Centre des arts actuels Skol (372 Rue Ste-Catherine O, #314). This show features works from Samuel Bernier Cormier, Lauren Chipeur, Kuh Del Rosario, Xavier Orssaud and Elise Rasmussen. This group of artists draws on notions of the archive and found materials. Learn more about the show here. “Catalog of Ruins” will be on view from Jan. 18 through March 30.  

Concordia’s 4th Space will be hosting a one-day symposium entitled “Expanded Practices: Composition in the post-secondary fine arts classroom” on March 25 from 10 a.m. through 6 p.m. Learn more about this writing-focused symposium and register at their website here.

Open Calls 

The bilingual lecture series by and for art history graduate students, Hypotheses, is looking for applicants for its new team for the 2024/2025 academic year. This is a volunteer opportunity for students from Concordia, McGill, UdeM and UQÀM. Members will be responsible for organising six conferences each year as a team. Learn more and apply at this link by April 15!

Concordia’s Art Education Graduate Student Association (ARTEGS) is looking for researchers, educators and artists for their upcoming exhibition for graduate students, entitled “Bold, Italic, Underlined.” The exhibition will take place at Galerie Popop from May 13 through 20. Submit images of your work and a description of your practice to [email protected] before April 1. Learn more about the exhibition’s theme on ARTEGS’ Instagram.

Orangepeel literary magazine has put out an open call for forward-thinking prose, poetry, visual art and comics for their upcoming issue that focuses on the future. Learn more about the submission process and guidelines here.

Room magazine has put out a call for submissions for issue 47.4! Their recent post on Instagram reads, “Room 47.4 is open for unthemed submissions! Send us your dreamiest & most daring & everything in between.” Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis and will close when full, so the earlier, the better! Learn more about the submission guidelines for art and writing here

Concordia Photo Collective has released a call-out for their five-day exhibition at Tiers Lieu Montreal from May 12 through May 16, entitled “Despite the noise I see.” They are looking for photographic works that speak to moments of lucidity amid chaos, and urge photographers to consider keywords such as grief, liberation, contemplation, noticing, longing and connectivity. Complete your application here by April 15!

Opportunities at The Concordian

As the semester comes to an end, we are still on the lookout for artwork submissions for our final digital issues of the academic year! 

Our Artist Spotlight series provides a space for Concordia’s fine arts students to showcase their recent artwork. Send your poetry, short story, photography, digital art, film, documentation of physical works, or performance along with a brief biography (100 words) and an artist’s statement (250 words) to [email protected].

Email our Arts & Culture Editor Emma Bell for more information at [email protected].