If you are single, Valentine’s Day is dedicated to indulging and splurging on sweets. If you are in a relationship, it’s the day to profess your unconditional love to your special someone in elaborate and extravagant ways. This year why not branch away from the usual roses, chocolates and anything red, and try a creative way to make your Valentine swoon.
This recipe for Lace Crêpes is the essence of romance. It can be served bright in the morning for breakfast in bed or in the evening with a dim candlelight dinner. Best of all it can be enjoyed by singles and couples alike.
Lace Crêpes (serves four)
½ cup flour
¾ cup milk
½ tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
Maple syrup (for garnish)
Powdered sugar (for garnish)
Cinnamon Syrup (Makes 1 cup):
½ cup white sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup water
1. Stir all the ingredients for the cinnamon syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Stir often until mixture thickens in consistency.
3. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
4. For the lace crêpes, mix the flour, egg, milk, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk until the batter is smooth. 5. Pour the batter into a plastic squeeze bottle with a fine tip. Freehand a lace pattern on a non-stick pre-heated pan set on medium.
6. After about two minutes flip the crêpe to cook the other side. Once you have stacked 2-3 crêpes, garnish with cinnamon syrup and powdered sugar.